Tuesday 27 May 2014

I've just finished a new piece, which uses some handspun yarn; spun on a drop spindle and plied with wool. This gave me a textured (for textured, read 'lumpy'!) yarn with flecks of white, grey and rusty brown. I thought that this needed to be seen as separate from the pattern in the weave so decided to frame the handspun in rectangular blocks. I've used a set of 14 epi to accommodate the handspun and the structure is tabby woven on 8 shafts.




I thought that it would work as a series of windows, framed by black machine spun wool flecked with a little white and with a purple sheen. (This isn't really evident in the photograph, however I'm sure it makes a difference in terns of the depth of colour in the finished piece.)


 I'm very pleased with the final result and am going to think about how to get the contrast between my dodgy handspun and machine made yarn to work in future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment